window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'G-1E7C2P29W5');

Can Dogs Eat Pine Cones? (Are Pine Cones Toxic?)

There are so many trees in my area, and recently I saw one of my dogs was having a pine cone in his mouth. Like other dog owners, I wondered Can Dogs Eat Pine Cones? So here is the answer to this question.

Can Dogs Eat Pine Cones?

No dogs cannot eat pine cones. They should avoid pine cones because they can cause intestinal blockage, vomiting or depression

No doubt pine cones are not toxic for dogs, but they can still cause health issues. Today we will discuss everything about pine cones, why they are bad for them, and what you can give them in replacement of pine cones so that your dog can chew them.

Are Pine Cones bad for dogs?

You should remember that pine cones are dangerous for your dog and that you should keep your dog away from pine cones. Dogs can become sick by eating pine cones. There are many reasons pine cones are bad for dogs. Some of them are mentioned below.

Some related articles:

Can Dogs Eat Salsa? (Read this article to discover whether salsa is healthy for your dog)

Can Dogs Eat Pomelo? (Find out the health benefits of pomelo for dogs)

Can Dogs Eat Pine Cones

8 reasons Pine Cones are bad for dogs 

  • Pine cones are difficult for dogs to digest
  • Pine cone scales can splinter your dog’s mouth, throat, and stomach
  • Pine cones can choke dogs
  • Dogs can get upset stomachs from pine cones 
  • Dogs can suffer gastrointestinal irritation from pine oil or sap on pine cones
  • Pine cones can cause intestinal blockages in dogs if consumed
  • Some dogs may be allergic to pine cones 
  • There is a possibility that pine cones contain pesticides that are harmful to dogs 

Pine cones are not only bad for dogs to eat; also, pine cones have other disadvantages, such as dogs can suffer splinters in their lips, tongues, throats, and even stomachs and intestines. 

They can also lead to mild conditions such as an intestinal blockage. You can only treat this with surgery which requires a bill to pay, which you are not ready for. So stop your dog from eating pine cones as soon as possible.

If someday you and your dog go for a walk, you suddenly see pine trees ahead. It is better to change your route. Because pine trees and pine needles produce pine oil, this oil can be seen on pine cones. And your furry partner will most likely chew and lick it. 

Are Pine Cones poisonous to dogs?

Pine cones are neither toxic nor poisonous to dogs. But not because they are not poisonous or toxic; our dogs can eat them. Remember that! 

Are Pine Trees poisonous to dogs?

Yes, pine trees are poisonous to dogs. According to ASPCA, pine trees are poisonous because they have pine needles. And the dog tries to chew it; hence it is poisonous.

The pine needles are sharp and pointy, therefore dangerous for your dog. This needle can also cause harm to your dog’s stomach line.


If you’re wondering what to do if your dog eats a pine cone, you’ve come to the right place. Whenever your dog eats pine cones, it’s important to act quickly.

You should therefore watch your dog closely and call your veterinarian as soon as you notice signs and symptoms. If the situation worsens and the dog could die, your vet should tell you how to administer first aid, and then you can take it to the vet for further treatment.

Leave a Comment